t.rausch @ dsg.tuwien.ac.at
+43 1 58801 184838
last edited: 18.11.2019
Thomas is a university assistant and PhD candidate at the Distributed Systems Group of the Institute of Information Systems Engineering. After finishing his bachelor studies in 2014, he received a master’s degree in Software Engineering & Internet Computing from TU Wien in 2016. He has been a visiting researcher at Carnegie Mellon University working with Prof. Mahadev Satyanarayanan on Edge Computing Systems, and at IBM Watson Research in New York, working on systems to operationalize AI. Before joining the Distributed Systems Group, Thomas worked for three years as a software engineer at the industry-oriented research facility CDL-Flex, developing a data integration platform for systems engineering data and tools. He also has over four years of professional experience in Web application engineering. His current activities include the research and development of operational mechanisms for Edge computing systems, and Cloud/Edge engineering in the CPS/IoT Ecosystem project.
- Edge computing
- Operations research
- Systems for AI
- Event-based systems
- Empirical software engineering
|184.167||Distributed Systems||UE, 3.0 ECTS|
|184.153||Distributed Systems Engineering||VU, 3.0 ECTS|
|184.260||Distributed Systems Technologies||VU, 6.0 ECTS|
|184.715||Project in Software Engineering & Internet Computing||PR, 12.0 ECTS|
|194.058||Project in Computer Science 1||PR, 6.0 ECTS|
|194.059||Project in Computer Science 2||PR, 6.0 ECTS|
|184.194||Seminar in Distributed Systems||SE, 3.0 ECTS|
Thesis & Project Supervision
I offer project topics and I am also happy to (co-)advise bachelor or master theses. Check out my projects page to see what I’m working on. If you are interested in working on one of these projects, we can develop a topic for a thesis or a project around your strengths.
- Andreas Bruckner, “Self-adaptive Distributed MQTT Middleware for Edge Computing Applications”, Diploma Thesis, in progress
- Alexander Rashed, “Optimized Container Scheduling for Serverless Edge Computing”, Diploma Thesis, in progress
- Valentin Bauer, “Hangar: Decentralized Storage and Provisioning of System Environments”, Bachelor Thesis, in progress
- Ammar Voloder, “Using In-Memory Key-Value Stores as a Transport Mechanism for RPC”, Bachelor Thesis, TU Wien, 2019
- David Schneiderbauer, “Predictive Analytics for Smart Homes using Serverless Edge Computing“, Diploma Thesis, TU Wien, 2019.
- Jacob Palecek, “A Monitoring Infrastructure for Energy-Aware Cluster-Based Mobile Cloudlets”, Bachelor Thesis, TU Wien, 2019.
- Manuel Geier, “Enabling Mobility and Message Delivery Guarantees in Distributed MQTT Networks“, Diploma Thesis, TU Wien, 2019.
- Philipp Raith, “Performance Evaluation of Java IO Models”, Bachelor Thesis, TU Wien, 2018.
|The CPS/IoT Ecosystem is a collaborative effort between TU Wien, AIT, IST, and TTTech, to evaluate state-of-the art cyber-physical system and Internet of Things technologies, and build a unified CPS/IoT ecosystem for industrial and educational applications.|
- Rausch, T., Raith, P., Pillai, P., & Dustdar, S. (2019). Demo: A System for Operating Energy-Aware Cloudlets. In 2019 IEEE/ACM Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC’19). IEEE. [Preprint] [Poster]
- Lachner, C., Rausch, T., & Dustdar, S. (2019). ORIOT: A Source Location Privacy System for Resource Constrained IoT Devices. In 2019 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM). IEEE. [Preprint]
- Rausch, T., Hummer, W., Muthusamy, V., Rashed, A., & Dustdar, S. (2019). Towards a Serverless Platform for Edge AI. In 2nd USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Edge Computing (HotEdge 19). USENIX Association. [Preprint] [Presentation]
- Lachner, C., Rausch, T., & Dustdar, S. (2019). Context-Aware Enforcement of Privacy Policies in Edge Computing. In 2019 IEEE International Congress on Big Data (BigData Congress). IEEE. [Preprint]
- Gusev, M., Koteska, B., Kostoska, M., Jakimovski, B., Dustdar, S., Rausch, T., … Fahringer, T. (2019). A Deviceless Edge Computing Approach for Streaming IoT Applications. IEEE Internet Computing, 23(1), 37–45. [Paper]
- Rausch, T., & Dustdar, S. (2019). Edge Intelligence: The Convergence of Humans, Things, and AI. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E). [Preprint]
- Hummer, W., Muthusamy, V., Rausch, T., Dube, P., & El Maghraoui, K. (2019). ModelOps: Cloud-based Lifecycle Management for Reliable and Trusted AI. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E). [Preprint]
- Skarlat, O., Karagiannis, V., Rausch, T., Bachmann, K., & Schulte, S. (2018). A Framework for Optimization, Service Placement, and Runtime Operation in the Fog. In 2018 IEEE/ACM 11th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC’18). [Preprint]
- Rausch, T., Avasalcai, C., & Dustdar, S. (2018). Portable Energy-Aware Cluster-Based Edge Computers. In 2018 IEEE/ACM Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC’18). [Preprint] [Presentation]
- Isakovic, H., Ratasich, D., Hirsch, C., Platzer, M., Wally, B., Rausch, T., … others. (2018). CPS/IoT Ecosystem: A platform for research and education. In Proceedings of the 14th Workshop on Embedded and Cyber-Physical Systems Education (WESE 2018). [Preprint]
- Rausch, T., Dustdar, S., & Ranjan, R. (2018). Osmotic Message-Oriented Middleware for the Internet of Things. IEEE Cloud Computing, 5(2), 17–25. [Paper]
- Rausch, T., Nastic, S., & Dustdar, S. (2018). EMMA: Distributed QoS-Aware MQTT Middleware for Edge Computing Applications. In 2018 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E). [Preprint] [Presentation]
- Rausch, T. (2017). Message-oriented Middleware for Edge Computing Applications. In Proceedings of the 18th Doctoral Symposium of the 18th International Middleware Conference (pp. 3–4). [Preprint] [Presentation]
- Nastic, S., Rausch, T., Scekic, O., Dustdar, S., Gusev, M., Koteska, B., … Prodan, R. (2017). A Serverless Real-Time Data Analytics Platform for Edge Computing. IEEE Internet Computing, 21(4), 64–71. [Paper]
- Rausch, T., Hummer, W., Leitner, P., & Schulte, S. (2017). An Empirical Analysis of Build Failures in the Continuous Integration Workflows of Java-based Open-source Software. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories. [Preprint] [Presentation]
- Thomas Rausch, “Build Failure Prediction in Continuous Integration Workflows”, Diploma Thesis, TU Wien, 2016.
I have been an official reviewer for